Board of Supervisors - March 1, 2001 Workshop Meeting

Home ] Up ]

The Wise County Board of Supervisors met in a Workshop Meeting on Thursday, March 1, 2001, at 6:00 p.m. in the Board of Supervisors meeting room located in the Wise County courthouse, Wise, VA.  The following were present:

Honorable Douglas Stallard - Chairman

Honorable Betty Cornett - Vice-Chair

Honorable Douglas Mullins

Honorable Edgar Mullins

Honorable Virginia Meador

Honorable Robert Adkins

Honorable Donnie Dowell - members of said Board

Shannon C. Scott - Acting County Administrator

Karen Mullins-County Attorney

Annette Underwood - Executive Secretary

 

ABSENT

Honorable Jeffrey Salyers

 

PRAYER

Rev. Mike Lawson, Pastor Riverview Pentecostal Church, Coeburn led the Board in prayer.

 

PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG

IN RE:  APPROVAL OF AGENDA

Chairman Stallard asked that a Resolution endorsing the issuance of revenue bonds for the PSA be added to the agenda for approval at the next meeting.

 

IN RE:  PUBLIC HEARING/STREET NAMING-PROPERTY NUMBERING SYSTEM ORDINANCE

A public hearing was duly advertised for this date to receive citizens comments regarding a proposed ordinance on Street Naming-Property Numbering System for Wise County.

There being no one to speak for or against the proposed ordinance, the public hearing was closed.

 

IN RE:  PUBLIC HEARING/E-911 ROAD NAMES ADDITION

A public hearing was duly advertised for this date to receive citizens comments regarding the following E-911 name additions:

Kilgore Cemetery Road (Located at the end of Coeburn Corporate Limits going toward Banner community above the old Dr. Pepper plant)

MacKinley Road (Located on the Birchfield Road off Bates Airfield Road, Wise, VA)

There being no one to speak for or against the proposed names, the public hearing was closed.

Chairman Stallard recognized Bobby Short's government class from J. J. Kelly High School and voiced the Board appreciation of the class attendance at the Board meeting.

 

IN RE:  PUBLIC EXPRESSION

James Neely, a resident of the Powell Valley area, informed the Board that he was disabled but did not receive his exemption on the landfill use fee.  He further commented that something needs to be done regarding the poor sound and picture of Board meetings that are being televised over channel 37. 

 

IN RE:  ROADS AND HIGHWAYS

The Coal & Gas Road payments were reviewed that included the gravel payments, MECC payment, and the Coal & Gas Road Committee members pay for attending the Coal & Gas Road Committee meeting.

The Revenue Sharing Program was reviewed.  T. G. Branson, Highway Resident Engineer advised that the Board needs to authorize the County Administrator to send a Letter of Intent to Richmond for participation in the Revenue Sharing Program.

Chairman Stallard stated that at the previous meeting of the Coal & Gas Road Committee the future development of the Coalfield Expressway was addressed.  He asked Mr. Branson that a resolution be prepared for approval by the Board of Supervisors at its next meeting addressing the installation of conduits in appropriate areas for future utility development along the Coalfield Expressway.

 

IN RE:  CABLE FRANCHISE ADVISORY COMMITTEE UPDATE

Chairman Stallard stated that a meeting is being set up with the towns and the City of Norton prior to next week's Board meeting from which information will be gathered for the Board regarding the proposed Cable Franchise Agreement with Adelphia.

 

IN RE:  CHAMBER OF COMMERCE REQUEST FOR FUNDING

Ed Sutphin, President of the Chamber of Commerce, addressed the Board with an overview of the Chamber's activities and the many benefits the Chamber offers Wise County.   He noted that the Wise County Chamber of Commerce is a nonprofit organization whose goals and objectives are financed by the dues from its members and municipal contributions.

The Chamber has recently realized an increase in demand for information and materials related to economic development that has strained the Chamber's budget for extra postage, printing and telephone charges.  Therefore, a request was made for a contribution of $5,000 from the FY 2000/01 County Budget to cover these unanticipated expenses.

 

IN RE:  PRO-ART REQUEST FOR FUNDING

May Straughan, a founding member of the Pro-Art Association, addressed the Board with a brief summary of Pro-Art's entertainment activities and education programs.  She asked that Pro-Art be considered in the FY 2001/02 Budget for $10,000 to support the Pro-Art Association in providing these performances and educations programs in Wise County.

 

IN RE:  EFNEP  GARDEN PROJECT /NUTRITION PROGRAMS

Carol Greear, EFNEP Program Assistant for Virginia Cooperative Extension, discussed with the Board the Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program (EFNEP) and the pilot EFNEP Garden Project. The goal of this project is to supplement the food stamps that citizens receive by growing fresh vegetables and to teach the younger children the importance of growing ones own food.  She asked for $300.00 to assist in providing this service.

 

IN RE:  DERBY RENOVATION PROJECT/AUTHORIZE ADVERTISEMENT FOR PUBLIC HEARINGS

Frank Kibler, a representative of LENOWISCO, gave the Board a status report on the Derby Renovation Project and the funding process.  He noted that two public hearings need to be set for public input on local community development and housing needs in relation to Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funding and public input on the proposed funding for the Derby Renovation Project.  There was a brief discussion on the Self-Help Program and its benefits to such projects.

Mr. Kibler asked the Board to set the two public hearings at its next meeting to meet guideline requirements.  He asked that the Board authorize the County Administrator at its next meeting to submit the appropriate correspondence to set in motion the Self-Help Program for the water and sewer needs for this project.  Also, at the April meeting, a resolution will be submitted to the Board for adoption that will accompany the application for funding.

 

IN RE:  DERBY RENOVATION PROJECT ENDORSEMENT LETTER

Carl Curtis, Senior Project Manager for Appalachian Technical Services, addressed the Board regarding Derby Renovation Project - Public / Private Partnership initiative.  Mr. Curtis explained the funding sources for this project and asked for a letter of endorsement from the Board that will further enhance ATS's endeavors for further funding for this concept.

 

IN RE:  ST. PAUL MANUFACTURING PROJECT/TRANSFER VCEDA FUNDS

Bob Harris, Chairman of the St. Paul IDA, informed the Board that the St. Paul IDA and the Wise County IDA have negotiated with Fabrication and Design, Inc. to locate a manufacturing facility in the St. Paul Industrial Park.  Preliminary surveying showed that the manufacturing project would be entirely located in the Wise County portion of the St. Paul Industrial Park.  Therefore, the Wise County IDA proceeded to prepare loan application documentation to VCEDA for funding of this project in an amount not to exceed $250,000 with the proceeds being used for construction and site development. The Wise County IDA would retain a first deed of trust on the property and building to secure the loan with VCEDA.

After a more detailed survey of the property was made, it was found that the proposed manufacturing facility would be constructed evenly on the Wise County and Russell County property.  When VCEDA funds are being used for a project in another county, the governing body must consent to their use in another county.  Therefore, the St. Paul IDA requests the Board of Supervisors to authorize VCEDA to release to the Wise County IDA loan funds in an amount not to exceed $250,000 to be used for site development and the construction of a manufacturing facility in the St. Paul Industrial Park.

 

IN RE:  APPALACHIA CULTURAL ARTS COUNCIL REQUEST

Sandra Riggs, Secretary/Treasurer for the Appalachia Cultural Arts Council, stated that the Appalachia Cultural Arts Council, Inc. is a non-profit corporation and is presently in the process of renovating the former M.D. Collier Furniture Store located on Main Street in the Town of Appalachia for use as a Cultural Arts Center with adjoining Amphitheater.  She further explained the proposed uses of the building and its benefits to the Appalachia citizens.

Each year the Virginia Commission for the Arts administers a grant program that challenges local governmental units to support arts organization.  Under this program, the Commission will match dollar-for-dollar every dollar donated to an arts organization.  Therefore, Ms. Riggs asked for a donation of $1,000 for matching funds for this program.

 

IN RE:  HANDS ACROSS THE MOUNTAIN

Sandra Riggs, representing Hands Across the Mountain, informed the Board that Hands has received sufficient TEA-21 awards which when combined with Hands 20% match, are sufficient to complete Phase I of the Black Mountain Overlook.

To complete the FY2000 TEA-21 funding, VDOT has prepared and forwarded to Hands for execution on behalf of Wise County as the fiscal agent for the project, an agreement for Project Development and Implementation.

Ms. Riggs noted that there is no local funding being requested for this project.  The contract before the Board at this time is only a revision of last year's contract that incorporates the additional $50,000 in funding and reflects that the matching funds have been received.  The transportation enhancement funding require that a government entity serve as the fiscal agent for the funding.

 

IN RE:  PUMP AND HAUL PERMIT / WENTZ TATE

A written request was received from Wentz Tate, a resident of the East Stone Gap area, for a Pump and Haul Permit for a parcel of land located at the intersection of Rock Street and Preston in East Stone Gap.

Thelma Horner, an adjacent property owner, voiced her opposition to the Pump and Haul Permit in that Mr. Tate's  lot was too small for any size dwelling whether it be a house or trailer.  Ms. Horner was concerned that if the permit was approved and the tank overflowed onto her property, who would be responsible.  She asked that the request be denied.

There was some concerns as to why Mr. Tate was not at the meeting to speak for his request.

Chairman Stallard was informed that Mr. Tate had been advised by Building & Zoning Administrator Robert Mullins to withdraw his request for the Pump and Haul Permit for further review of his lot size by the Building and Zoning Department.

Administrator Scott advised that the Pump and Haul Permit Agreement is made between the Health Department and the County, not the person making the request for the permit.  He noted that he had spoken with legal counsel in that the County could enter into a sub-agreement with the person for whom the pump and haul service is being provided.  If for any reason that agreement was violated, the agreement between the County and the Health Department would be terminated.

Chairman Stallard asked that Mr. Tate's request be taken from the agenda until further notice.

 

IN RE:  PUMP AND HAUL PERMIT/WISE MOUNTAIN FELLOWSHIP CHURCH

Roger Cooke, Assistant Pastor for the Wise Mountain Fellowship Church, asked the Board to look favorably on his request for a Pump and Haul Permit for the church.  Mr. Cooke stated that he would be willing to sign a sub-agreement with the County that would hold the church responsible for the private pump and haul pickup and not the County.  He said that in the event the pump and haul system failed, the pump and haul permit agreement would be terminated.

 

IN RE:  REGIONAL JAIL UPDATE /BILL KING/DAVID ROSE

Chairman Stallard stated that Bill King has prepared an update on the regional jail for the Board to review and study prior to his presentation.  Mr. King and David Rose will make a presentation on the regional jail at a recessed or special called meeting at which time any questions the Board may have can be answered.

 

IN RE:  TRANSFER OF FUNDS/ SHERIFF'S DEPARTMENT

Chairman Stallard asked that the request for a transfer of funds within the Sheriff's Department be taken from the agenda and placed on next month's agenda because of the ban that has been placed on the state budget at this time.

 

IN RE:  OTHER ITEMS DISCUSSED

  1. Commissioner of Revenue Request for Refund
  2.  Landfill Use Fee Refunds
  3. Appropriation of Phone Commission Funds
  4. VDOT Agreement - Ramsey/Wise Connector Road
  5. Appointments
  6. Payment of Accounts
  7. E-911 Payments
  8. Blackwood Landfill Enterprise Payments
  9. Enterprise Fund Payments
  10. Board Comments
  11. Closed Session
  12.  Recess Meeting

There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 7:45 p.m.

ATTEST:               WISE COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS

 

_____________________   ________________________

Clerk                               Chairman

Back to Top

 
© 2006 Wise County, Virginia. All Rights Reserved. Try our Guide to Services, County Directory or Search pages. 
206 East Main Street • Wise, Virginia 24293 • Phone: 276-328-2321 • Fax 276-328-9780. Privacy Policy
For suggestions, comments, or questions about this website, please contact our webmaster.
Designed WebWorx, Inc.