Board of Supervisors - June 16, 2005 Recessed Meeting

Home ] Up ]

The Wise County Board of Supervisors met in a Continued Meeting on Thursday, June 16, 2005 at 6:00 p.m. in the Board of Supervisors meeting room located in the Wise County Courthouse.  The following were present:

Honorable Fred A. Luntsford - Chairman

Honorable Ronnie Shortt - Vice-Chairman

Honorable Robert R. Adkins

Honorable Steve Bates

Honorable Virginia Meador

Honorable John W. Peace

Honorable Leland Branham

Honorable Robert Robbins - members of said Board and

Glen A. Skinner - County Administrator

Shannon C. Scott - Assistant County Administrator

Karen T. Mullins - County Attorney

Annette Underwood - Executive Secretary



A motion was made by John Peace, seconded by Bob Adkins, to approve the proposed Wise County Public Schools budget for FY 2005-2006.

Assistant County Administrator Scott explained to the Board that in the FY 2004-2005 budget, an amount of $339,400 was placed in the School Board budget for energy upgrades.  This was the first money approved for Capital Outlay since the FY 1998-1999 budget.  Last year, this Capital Outlay amount was placed in the newly formed Capital Improvements Fund and not in the General Fund, which has been the cause of much confusion.  For the FY 2005-2006 budget, new money for the General Fund was identified in the amount of $1,100,000.00.  But the Capital Outlay amount of $374,900.00 (FY 2005-2006) had to be subtracted from this amount leaving $725,100.00 for operations.  With the consideration of an additional $230,000.00 which represents money the Wise County Public Schools will return to Wise County, will leave $955,100.00 as an increase in school operations.  Mr. Scott further explained that approximately $275,000.00 of this amount will be used for increases in health insurance premiums leaving $230,000.00 to go toward pay increases, which will be added to money the State of Virginia is also providing for school employees pay increases.

Ron Vicars, representing the Wise County School Board, also addressed the Board noting that the School Board is paying 100% of the increase in employees cost for health insurance for FY 2005-2006 for an amount of approximately $725,000.00.  This represents a 2.25% increase to accompany the 3.7% pay increase from the School Board for a total of 5.95% effective pay increase for the school employees. 

Jim Blackburn, President of the WCEA, voiced his appreciation to the Board for its support of the teachers' salary increase for the upcoming year.  He also requested any additional funding that may be available to increase the salaries to 6%.



A motion was made by Bob Adkins, seconded by Virginia Meador, to approve budget amendment No. 43 to transfer $300.00 from the Crime Prevention Special Fund to the Law Enforcement Budget for police supplies.  The motion was unanimously approved.

Administrator Skinner advised that he was given a request just before entering the meeting for an additional budget amendment.  The amendment would be to transfer funds in the amount of $8,878.60 from the IT Improvement Fund to the County General Fund to purchase check writing equipment for the Treasurer's Office.

Attorney Mullins advised that the Board must vote to allow this request to be considered at this meeting.

A motion was made by Robby Robbins, seconded by John Peace, to consider this request at this meeting.  The motion was unanimously approved.

A motion was made by Bob Adkins, seconded by Ronnie Shortt, to approve budget amendment No. 44 to transfer $8,878.60 from the IT Improvement Fund budget to the County General Fund for the purpose of purchasing check writing equipment for the Treasurer's Office.  The motion was unanimously approved.



There being no further business, a motion was made by Ronnie Shortt, seconded by Leland Branham, to adjourn the meeting.  The motion was unanimously approved.


ATTEST:                                WISE COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS

___________________     _________________________________

Glen A. Skinner, Clerk         Fred A. Luntsford, Chairman

Back to Top

© 2006 Wise County, Virginia. All Rights Reserved. Try our Guide to Services, County Directory or Search pages. 
206 East Main Street • Wise, Virginia 24293 • Phone: 276-328-2321 • Fax 276-328-9780. Privacy Policy
For suggestions, comments, or questions about this website, please contact our webmaster.
Designed WebWorx, Inc.